Friday, March 4, 2011

(I)ndia Positive

Since my last two-three posts have been slightly disturbing ones, I am thinking let me go for a really positive sequence of events during my stay in Mumbai.  This happened on my third day in Mumbai. 

I stay at Malad and my office is in Lower Parel.  So for a non-Mumbaikar like me, the distance gets tiring.  Adding to it are my train woes.  Anyway, the day before that good day, I was told by a local friend to get down at Dadar (that’s two stations before Lower Parel) and take a cab to office, which she said is easier.  I thought I would try that.  So on the concerned day, I get down at Dadar, utterly clueless how to go forward!

For a Mumbaikar, the crowd definitely appeals or lets say, is no big deal.  After all they are a part of it.  I am demophobic (fear of crowd) and it scares the living daylights out of me.  Hence, with no sense of directions I sat down at the Dadar station bench and wondered what to do.  The expression on my face must have been really dramatic for as soon as I got up, a ticket checker asked me for the station pass.  Since I had a first class pass, he checked it and let me go with a curious expression on his face.

I got out of the station and looked for a cab.  For 20 minutes no cab could be found.  I was scared and worried.  I was getting late for office and I hated to be late.  I walked around a little more and finally found this cab which already had a passenger.  I asked the cab driver if he was going to Lower Parel.  He said he was going to Parla village with the passenger lady.  Again my expressions cheated on me(or played lucky for me!) as I found the driver saying, “Koi nahi, madam. Aap baith jaiye, main apko taxi ke paas drop kar deta hoon. Yahan apko taxi nahi milegi.” (Don’t worry madam. Get in, I shall drop you to a taxi. You wont get a taxi here.)  I was a little reluctant but since there was a lady inside, I got in. 

He drove for 15 minutes and stopped next to a line of taxis.  He got out, and asked the other taxi driver if he would go to Lower Parel.  As he said ok, I was fiddling with my purse.  Seeing that, my former driver uncle (cant just call him a driver after that) said, “Madam, paise ki koi zarurat nahi. Yeh aapko le jayenge.” (Its ok, don’t pay me. He will take you.”  I was quite surprised to say anything further. 

Now, the second cab driver was a really old man.  Flowing white beard and a flat turban sorts on his head.  He asked me where exactly I wanted to go.  I told him and he then said he’s not too sure about the building.  As I started to look dismayed, he quickly added, “Aap baitho hum dhoond lenge.” (You sit in, we shall find it.)

I got into his cab and he started driving.  After 5 minutes he started talking with me.  He told me he has been in the city for 35 years and that he lost his family to 1992-93 Bombay riots.  He then asked about me.  I told me we are four girls here, for training and that we live in a flat in Malad.  I did not go too much in details since I was still not very sure.  Then he said something quite unexpected.  He said that he helps new people in the city anytime and anywhere.  That he can arrange for accommodations and stuff.  Then he gave me his mobile number and said people call him ‘Khan chacha’ (Khan uncle).  He asked me to give him a call whenever I was in trouble or lost and he would come help me. 

He did not know my office building but he kept asking people on way and dropped me at the building’s gate.  He took only a nominal sum for a 30-minutes ride.  He started his car, smiled at me and added, “Kahin bhi kuch bhi zarurat to hame call karna beta.” (Call me if you need me anytime and anywhere, child.)

I am bad with directions and roads.  I cannot remember a road until I travel through it 4-5 times.  That day after office, I got lost on my way to station.  Last two days, I had my father to help me to the station.  But this was dreadful.  I was tired, hungry, lost and worried.  There were people all around but most of them looked sinister to me( or at least so, to the mind of a lost girl).  Finally I saw a man walking briskly towards me with a suitcase in hand.  On an impulse I asked him the way to station.  He said, “Come with me, I am towards station too.”

I cursed myself for asking him. God knows where he might take me.  But something inside me told me to go ahead.  And I did.  He not only led me to the station but took me straight to where the ladies’ first class coach stops.  He waited there with me as a train chugged in and saw me to the coach.  Due to the crowd and rush, I couldn’t turn back and say a thank you.

Three complete strangers helped me almost unreservedly in my crisis.  Situations did not even let me thank them.  All I could do was to wish them all good things in life.

I still hate the crowd.  But I love the fact that there are some who care unconditionally for someone who is not a part of their crowd.

1 comment:

  1. Ashwini Nair is Awesome so the people she meets are going to be Awesome! :)

    (this is how it works)
    good happens to good!

    ReplyDelete