Tuesday, March 8, 2011

All about goof ups!


Yesterday was a big day.  International Women’s day is after all a big day.  But how good it is to a woman who goes for her first really big engagement and makes a bigger goof up? Read on!

I was at the CNN IBN office when at around 6.30 pm, I was called by one of the senior reporters at his desk.  I go to him to find out that it’s a shoot that I have to go to and something of the kind that I have never been to before. 

“There is a research conducted according to which Indian men exhibit the highest rate of sexual violence and India is worst on gender equality.  So you have to do a vox pop (ask random people about their takes on a particular issue) at Phoenix.  We need it for the 9 pm news. Hurry…” I was told.

Since this was my first big shoot till now, with more involvement, I was excited and practically ran for it.  We reached Phoenix and I started looking around for women.  I did find women who were ready to talk till they heard that they had to come in front of the camera.  Then they would say ‘Oh I am not looking good enough to come on camera, or I am too camera conscious etc.”

Basically within 20 minutes I could convince only one woman.  I was tired of ‘I am in a hurry or my husband’s come etc.”  But I had no other option other than go on.  Hence within 45 minute I got four women to give me their opinions, after massive convincing.

Only one more and I will be done, I thought.  That was when I saw a middle aged lady with her husband coming out of the mall.  Ok, here comes a perfect couple.  She looked like she could have an opinion and could speak well about it.  I went up to her, told her the issue and she agreed to come on camera to give her opinion.

She came in front of the camera, thinking and asking me what to say and her husband following, with a mysterious smile on his face.  I wish I had given a little more than a glance to his smile!  Anyway, as she stood in front of the camera, my cameraman and helper started whispering though all I could hear was ‘awaaz’.  I thought they are saying she may not sound good on camera or something.  What the hell, she is ready to help and now these people have issues with her voice, I thought irritably.

Meanwhile, she went to talk to her husband for a minute and then came back.  Suddenly she said she cannot do this.  Seeing my confused look, she said, “I am sorry dear, but you see, my husband here is the editor-in-chief of CNBC Awaaz, so I don’t think I should do it.” 

*Pause* *Two taps on head*!!!!!!! DAMMIT, I thought! Of all the people! Wife of the editor-in-chief of CNBC Awaaz, the sister concern of CNN IBN!! Why? I looked up to the skies and asked!!!

I don’t remember the later part of the event.  I must have said sorry, they must have walked off with smiles, the camera people would have laughed at me and I would have looked like a complete idiot.  But I did not care.

Soon enough I found another lady, who spoke well and we packed up.  All through the rest of the night, I was tossing the event left, right and centre in my head. 

As I was telling my friends, when God had too much of goof ups in store to load on some mortal’s head, I must have gone to Him and begged them to be loaded on my head!


No comments:

Post a Comment